Population by current activity status

The current activity status classifies the population into important social groups like employed, unemployed, students, persons receiving a pension and other currently not economically active people.

Register-based labour market statistics 2018

For the reference date, 31 October 2018, 52.8% of the Austrian population are currently economically active (4 672 908 persons), they are employed or unemployed. The remaining half of the population (47.2% or 4 178 509 persons) consists of currently not economically active persons.

From the group of employed persons, 4 278 316 are at work and 92 087 are temporary absent, 302 505 are unemployed. Among the currently not economically active population 1 884 343 persons are receiving a pension, 1 279 793 persons are below the age of 15, 343 143 persons are students aged 15 years and over and 671 230 are other currently not economically active persons.

Register-based census 2011

According to the Register-based Census held on 31 October 2011, more than half of the Austrian population is currently economically active (4 271 555 or 50.8%). The other half of the population (4 130 385 or 49.2%) consists of persons below the age of 15, persons receiving a pension, students at the age of 15 and over and other currently not economically active people.

Persons receiving a pension represent the largest group within the currently not economically active people (1 855 735 or 22.1%). Because of their higher life expectancy and lower pension age, women receiving a pension (23.7%) constitute a larger share than men (20.4%). Students account for 18.9% of the population (1 585 827 persons).

50.8% of the population are currently economically active

The fraction of the currently economically active people in the population has risen continuously since the census in 1971. In 2011, currently economically active people represent more than half of the Austrian population for the first time.

Labour participation of women is rising continuously

The labour participation of women has increased considerably in the last decades, while the fraction of currently economically active men of the entire population has been slowly decreasing since 1991. However, the labour participation of women (46.5%) is still below that of men (55.4%).

Persons below the age of 15 are declining while persons receiving a pension are increasing

The share of persons below the age of 15 has decreased by almost 10 percentage points from 24.2% in 1971 to 15.6% in 2011, while the number of persons receiving a pension has increased continuously.

Please consult our German website for tables and charts containing further information.

Register-based Labour Market Statistics 2018

Results (overview): population by current activity status and sex 2009 to 2018
Population 2018 by current activity status, age and citizenship
Population 2018 by Laender, sex and current activity status
Currently economically active persons 2018 by Laender, sex and current activity status including subgroups
Activity rates and employment rates 2018 by Laender, age and sex

Register-based Census 2011

Results (overview): population by current activity status and sex 1971 to 2011


Population by Current Activity StatusPrice in € *)Free Download

 
 

Abgestimmte Erwerbsstatistik und Arbeitsstättenzählung 2018
This German-language publication presents an overview of key results on demography, labour force statistics, education, commuter destination statistics, family and households, enterprises and local ...

Release date: 08/2020 ISBN:978-3-903264-54-0

 
 

0,00

 
 

(PDF, 51 MB)

 
 

Abgestimmte Erwerbsstatistik und Arbeitsstättenzählung 2017
Register-based labour market statistics and census of local units of employment 2017 This German-language publication presents an overview of key results on demography, labour force statistics, ...

Release date: 06/2019 ISBN:978-3-903264-18-2

 
 

0,00

 
 

(PDF, 42 MB)

 
 

Abgestimmte Erwerbsstatistik und Arbeitsstättenzählung 2016
This German-language publication presents an overview of key results on demography, labour force statistics, education, commuter destination statistics, family and households, enterprises and local ...

Release date: 09/2018 ISBN:

 
 

0,00

 
 

(PDF, 25 MB)

 
 

Census 2011 - Austria
The 2011 census marks a turning point in the long history of population censuses
in Austria. For the first time, no use was made of conventional questionnaires filled
in by the population. Instead, ...

Release date: 6/2014 ISBN:978-3-902925-39-8

 
 

0,00

 
 

(PDF, 28 MB)

*) excluding shipping and handling
If you want to purchase one of these publications, please contact our General information service.




Guglgasse 13, A-1110 Vienna 
Tel.: +43 (1) 71128-7070 
Fax: +43 (1) 71128-7728 
info@statistik.gv.at 
Opening hours: Mon - Fri 9.00 am - 4.00 pm